Wicca Online Community For Pagans and Wiccans

One of the things that Seekers might want to consider is that just posting "I want a teacher" doesn't tell us very much.  Seekers might want to give a bit of their background, what they are looking for in a teacher/group, their experience in Wicca/Paganism, and even what they feel Wicca is.

Below is a questionnaire that I use when we get people expressing interest in training.  This certainly isn't the be-all/end-all but I'd suggest that seekers try using it to work up a "profile" that they can then share with a respective teacher.  When reading through it, remember that it is a questionnaire that is designed specifically for our coven which is part of a specific Ritual, Mystery Tradition that trains people to be Priestesses and Priests in our Tradition.

Benedizioni,

---Vinnie

Questionnaire for seekers interested in Wicca

We know that not everyone who contacts us will want to practice the sort of Witchcraft we do and that's OK.  :-)  For these people, we can help by providing references or introductions to a variety of other groups.  Your answers to the following questions will be of great help in ascertaining what sort of group or coven is most appropriate for you, even if it isn't us.  Depending on your present knowledge of Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca you may not understand or be able to answer one or two of the questions simply because of terms you are not familiar with.  Don't be bothered by this - just answer as much as you can. 

1.)  Please briefly give a general description of yourself and your background, including your religious upbringing, when you were born, and the area(s) in which you grew up.

2.)  When and how did you become interested in Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?

3.)  What books have you read which pertain to Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?

4.)  Have you ever participated in a study group or coven, or attended any classes or workshops on Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?  If so, where and when?

5.)  If you have been in a group, what did they do?  What was the emphasis of the group work?  What were the basic tenets of the group?

6.)  What kinds of group are you looking for?  What kind of coven structure do you think would feel most comfortable learning in?  Celebrating with?  Some components to think about are:

-- Structured or non-structured?

-- What type of Wicca:  Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Dianic, Celtic, Faerie, Shamanic, Druidic, Strega, etc.?

-- A balance between the Goddess and the God, or completely Goddess-focused? Pantheon focused?

-- A larger or smaller group?  How many people do you want to work with?

-- Please mention any other aspects you find important.

7.)  How open have you been about your interest in Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca with your family and friends?  How have they reacted to it?

8.)  What sort of time commitment are you willing to make for classes and ritual?  For meditation and personal work at home?

9.)  What do you feel Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca has to offer you?

10.)  What do you think your strongest and weakest characteristics are?  What do you feel you have to offer as a member of a coven?

11.)  What aspects of the Craft are you most interested in?  What do you find interests you least?

12.)  Please describe a typical day in your life.

SUGGESTED READING

*Margot Adler – Drawing Down the Moon (Highly recommended:  this is the best available overview of Wicca and Neo-paganism in the U.S.)

*Starhawk – Spiral Dance and Dreaming the Dark

*Doreen Valiente – Natural Magic; An ABC of Witchcraft Past and Present; Witchcraft For Tomorrow

*Marion Weinstein – Positive Magic

* Stewart Farrar and Janet Farrar – A Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook

*Katherine Kurtz – Lammas Night

*Leland - Aradia, Gospel of the Witches

A note about Wicca:

Wicca (also Wica)

Wicca (pronounced /ˈwɪkə/) is a neopagan, nature-based religion. It was popularized in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it Witchcraft and its adherents "the Wica".

Wiccans, as followers of Wicca are now commonly known, typically worship a God (traditionally the Horned God) and a Goddess (traditionally the Triple Goddess), who are sometimes represented as being a part of a greater pantheistic Godhead, and as manifesting themselves as various polytheistic deities. Other characteristics of Wicca include the ritual use of magic, a liberal code of morality and the celebration of eight seasonal-based festivals.

There is dispute as to what actually constitutes Wicca. Initially, it referred to the lineage of one of Gardner's rivals, Charles Cardell, although in the 1960s it began to refer instead only to lineages stemming from Gardner and operating as initiatory Mystery Priesthoods (such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca). These are now collectively known in North America as British Traditional Wicca. A third usage, which has grown in popularity in recent years, and which was debatably the original usage, considers Wicca to include other forms of Goddess-oriented neopagan witchcraft that are similar to but independent of that lineage, including Cochrane's Craft, Dianic Wicca and the 1734 Tradition; these are sometimes collectively termed Eclectic Wicca. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca)

Wicca, BTW

(British Traditional Wicca/Witchcraft)

BTW describes the traditions that are lineaged, initiatory mystery religions linked with a common ancestry back to the New Forest region of Great Britain. The term extends to include those Traditions in American such as Mohsian, Central Valley Wicca, Georgian, Protean, 1734 and more. A heavy emphasis is placed on “praxis” and “preserving Tradition above all else. BTW is oathbound and is a priesthood or a specific Goddess and Specific God.

Wicca, Contemporary Wicca (Neo-Wicca)

Traditions of Witchcraft that are derived from the teachings of BTW yet distinctly NOT BTW. Include other Traditions that may have started as BTW but grew beyond the generally accepted restriction of BTW. Often they have either added material, modified material, or otherwise made changes to the original material to keep pace with our understanding as a culture and people. i.e. these traditions “grow and evolve”. Like BTW, Neo-Wiccan Traditions are lineaged, Initiatory Mystery Religions.

Wicca, Chthonioi-Alexandrian

The term “Chthonioi-Alexandrian Wicca” is used to describe the practice of the Boston-based family of covens directly downline from and including Coven Chthonioi. Coven Chthonioi (and daughter Covens) grew out of the Alexandrian practice of its founders in the 1960's/1970's, and is the oldest continuous Line descended from Du Bandia Grasail, the first documented Alexandrian Coven in the USA. Chthonioi and its downline are, in general, open and non-secretive, on the principle that the Mysteries guard themselves well enough without us throwing additional obstacles in the path of understanding.

Originally purely Alexandrian, Coven Chthonioi early on changed its worship from that of the Celtic Gods and Goddesses of Britain to that of the Gods and Goddesses of Greece (Greco-Roman Pantheon and Isian worship), and changed its ritual form somewhat to suit this change in mythology. Many of the original founders (Chthonioi/Ganymede) were students of comparative religion and Classics. Given the enormous effect Greek and Roman culture has had on American arts, architecture, law and politics, since before the founding of the country, this pantheon has proven especially well-suited to our culture and our focus on social workings. In addition, the comprehensive documentation of Greco-Roman religious practice and philosophy allowed early leaders of the coven to easily form a coherent Tradition. Nonetheless the basic ritual form we use (Casting the Circle, Drawing Down the Moon, Initiations) is closely enough based on our Alexandrian background that most all of the local completely traditional Alexandrians consider us Kin or “kissing-cousins”.

Wicca, Eclectic-Wicca

Include other forms of personally crafted religious practices of Goddess-oriented neopagan witchcraft that are similar to but independent of BTW lineage and includes traditions such as Cochrane's Craft, Dianic Wicca, and others. From Witchvox: “A newer form of Wicca has developed since the 1970's that is looser in structure and practice than Traditional Wicca. These practitioners may follow a mixture of various or 'eclectic' Pagan and/or non-pagan beliefs. Some have formed 'traditions' or covens of their own, with or without a degree system, and have written a "book of shadows" outlining their own belief system and coven structure. Many are 'solitaries' who practice their beliefs and formulate their personal rituals in their own way.” (http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usfl&c=basics&id=4575)

Views: 1395

Replies to This Discussion

Jess, can you explain your interest in a Gardnerian coven as opposed to another Tradition?

Forgive my being blunt, but when you say, "I would do anything and go anywhere, I would relocate and give up anything and everything if I had to for it" it actually sends up a red flag for me.  Although some religions may ask that type of thing, that certainly isn't the type of thing that BTW traditions would ask of someone. I would NEVER ask a student to relocate or "do anything".  BTW may ask for serious commitment, may require some travel depending on where people are located, etc but not the type of fanaticism that your phrase implies.  I'm sorry if I've misinterpreted what you mean by it.

One of the things that I frequently tell people who are interested in training in a British Traditional Witchcraft (BTW) is that it is FAR more important to find the RIGHT people than to only pursue a specific tradition.  For instance, BTW usually comprises the traditions of: Gardnerian, Alexandrian, American/Mohsian, Central Valley Wicca, Georgian, Protean, 1734, and more.

If BTW is what you really want, in addition to The Meaning of Witchcraft, I suggest reading: Witchcraft Today and High Magic's Aid.

Also, you might want to check out the Amber and Jet Yahoo!Group which is specifically for Seekers of BTW.  Fair warning - they are very strict with how they use and define words and don't allow any leeway so make sure that you read the faq and spend time reading the archives before posting.

Benedizioni,

---Vinnie 

1. well I grew up christian but I tryed anoumber of diffrent denominations in the christian faith but was unhappy

2.I had a freind who was wiccan and she told me about it and I tryed it thinking it may be the right path for me and I liked what I learned about being a witch and paganisim

3.I read all kinds lets see umm bucklands witchcraft for the solitary witch I read alot more but I cant think of the names

4.yes I did I whent to a coven who held esbats and whent to classes and whent to sabbats and took many other classes the coven was in east brunswick

5.the coven was eccletic

6. Iam intrested in working with an eccletic group

7. Iam totaly open with my religion to freinds my family are gone and that react some good some bad so I gain freinds I lose freinds what ever

8.I live in a group home so Iam limited at home in what I can do and how I can do it but if I can just find a place ill be ok

9. wicca and paganisim had offerd me peace and iner beauty one with nature and one with being with the gods and goddess

10. my weakes point with me is not knowing when to quit my strongest strenth is kindness

11. white magic intrest me the most dark magic intrest me the least

12. I get up at 6:00 am I take meds I go to program Iam mentaly ill so under go a day full of therapy everyday till 3;00pm I come home the do chores till 8:00 pm take meds then go to bed the next day we do it all agian

1.)  Please briefly give a general description of yourself and your background, including your religious upbringing, when you were born, and the area(s) in which you grew up.
 * Hello :-) I'm Krista and I'm very much in need o guidance and help finding my direction.  I was raised strict church of Christ and have spent years studying at times for it and other times against it.  I've researched many many religions and spiritual way of living and feel I was lead to Wicca. 
2.)  When and how did you become interested in Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?

*I do believe very much in empowerment, doing as one will doing no harm. I also am very in awe of our earth.  I have always been spiritual, but never found my place it's feeling more and more like me and where I want my life to lead. I have a huge heart and know I can do a lot of good.

3.)  What books have you read which pertain to Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?
 *Many online sources, getting confused.  That's one reason I'm so happy I found this site and this particular group.
4.)  Have you ever participated in a study group or coven, or attended any classes or workshops on Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?  If so, where and when?
* I have not.

5.)  If you have been in a group, what did they do?  What was the emphasis of the group work?  What were the basic tenets of the group?

6.)  What kinds of group are you looking for?  What kind of coven structure do you think would feel most comfortable learning in?  Celebrating with?  Some components to think about are:

-- What type of Wicca:  Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Dianic, Celtic, Faerie, Shamanic, Druidic, Strega, etc.?
            -- A balance between the Goddess and the God, or completely Goddess-focused? Pantheon focused?
            -- A larger or smaller group?  How many people do you want to work with?
 * I would like to find a person(s) that would be kind enough to sped some time talking to me, essentially ring a mentor.  I'm very open to all of it, I'm trying to find my place in it all.
7.)  How open have you been about your interest in Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca with your family and friends?  How have they reacted to it?
 * I've been somewhat talkative about it due to my sheer excitement and people have been able to see how peaceful I've become.  I come from a Christian family so I don't see a wiccan welcome anytime soon.  BUT I am not here to please them.  I'm deepening and awakening my spirituality. It's a beautiful thing.  And my husband is very supportive.
8.)  What sort of time commitment are you willing to make for classes and ritual?  For meditation and personal work at home?
*i am extremely committed!

9.)  What do you feel Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca has to offer you?
* I think it will offer me a spiritual deepening and to finally feel at peace in what I do believe.  I want to feel empowered and I want to love! I want to worship the beauty all around me that the god and goddess (whom I see as nearly equal) have blessed me with finally recognizing.

10.)  What do you think your strongest and weakest characteristics are?  What do you feel you have to offer as a member of a coven?
 * I am very dedicated, spiritual, kind, loving, eager to learn, like to truly live what I believe.  I also believe that my set backs are likely above average.  I can offer a coven a witch that is passionate and eager to learn.
11.)  What aspects of the Craft are you most interested in?  What do you find interests you least?
*all of it interests me right now, but I'll find my place in it all. 
12.)  Please describe a typical day in your life.
* I spend my day at home with my children and run my home :)
My name is nick a wiccan practiced magic and book of shadows spells in general as well since I were young grow up in canada I'm 24 love the forest area especially in the dark.

I've become interest when I was 14 with occult and abnormal and paranormal beliefs how well I can't ignore my destiny.

Well a lot of the book of shadows and also ancient books I found at the local library also dvds and online reading as well. I.e 19th Century - Unique set of 4 grimoires - Dragon Rouge - Vieillard des Pyramides - Albert  
18th Century - Key of Solomon - First French Edition  
1657 - Delrio's Witch hunter manual - Disquisitionum Magicarum Libri Sex  
1521 - Le Dragon Rouge - Very rare early edition of the Grand Grimoire NEW 
1723 : Alchemy - Sendivogius - Cosmopolite 
1740 - Grimoire of Pope Leo - 7 Colored Plates 
1578: Eymerich - Directorium Inquisitorum - Witch Hunter's Bible 
1579: Wierus - De Praestigiis Daemonum - French edition - Demonology 
1589 : Demonology - Vairo : Three Books of Charms, Spells & Sorceries

Well yeah I were in a wiccan coven on online wiccan community I were a council yeah and we shared submitted and practiced a lot it was 2 years ago.

The group dedicated to everything elemental related and rituals in general.

I already found the groups I desired
I am a Teutonic Witch/Solitary Witch
Pantheon focused.

Well everyone knows.
But those who doesn't need to know don't know.
How they reacted? In silence.

Well I have a time a lot of it willing to commit what's requiring me too.

The world and old historical ancient knowledge.

I am confident eager good at paying attention wise intelligent and my weak part is hum emo to be committed.
I have to offer knowledge spells guidance wisdom inlightment

Well I most interesting in unique spells protection intimidation shape shifting castings of all sorts telepathic psychic telekinesis and on and on.

Typical day of my life is feeding my 14 cats. Going to work then to college and then what I'm doing now

I'm bumping this since there have been a bunch of new folks.

Just bumping this for the new folks.

Bumping this up again for the new folks.  Can someone pin this to the top?

Seems like it's time to bump this thread, again. :-)

Bumping for new folks.

Hello I am Starr.  I would like to start off saying that i was a teen in the mid 80's My whole family was Christian and nuts. I was the only healthy very scientific one out of them all. i always spent time in the woods and on the water sailing. that was wear my sanctuary was that was home i always felt the earth calling but my Christian programming in thought conformity held me back telling me that the earths energy was evil.

Well as i got older i read of Buddha and his teaching were amazing! i felt free! but the Taoist way made my heart happy and balanced and from there i knew the earths energy was ok and to not fear it. I got to study medicine from the most knowledgeable science of the body. PURE SCIENCE and i was addicted and i knew that they held truth beyond anyones imagination or experience in the western world, I became like a walking encyclopedia about the human body with ancient wisdom about the earths medicine and our bodies. i started to study everything and my nose never left a book i read astrology and was completely intrigued i am attracted to subjects of endless study. what brought me to this path was All women are healers by Diane Stein and hearing the struggles of learning medicine because of the church and everything fell into place she was amazing

2. i would have to say Diane Stein and her pure loving heart she symbolizes in my eyes what our creator whated us to be like she was the only person from a different religion that understood the Tao she new of its peace 

3. I dont actually remember, but i know they were spell books and i am reading drawing down the mon right now and it is extremely informative 

4. I never attended classes i have read online a considerable amount i have read about the power of minerals and sleep with azurite, Prehnite, amethyst, and jadeby my head everynight and i study dreams and there meanings the ancient way not freud

6. I love structured learning i would like to work with a small group. The type of area would be all of them because i am a student forever. but to identify any specifically i am not sure and embarrassed of my indecisiveness I have irish blood maybe celtic is where i should start. If some one feels i would be suited better for something else i am open i dont know of any covens close by but i would love to partipate in person but if its not possible i understand online is ok

7. I am an adult i avoid them like the plague but my daughters are open.

8. I have have time to make a serious commitment i just lack money.

9.I feel that Paganism and Wicca can offer me a deeper closeness to the earth that need

10. my strengths are seeing into people that are sick. i am very observant but accurately i am scientific and spiritual I seek the truth i am fair and compassionate and intelligent. I have no weaknesses lol Just kidding I can be intolerant of ignorance i can be impatient with certain mind sets i have a hard time holding my tongue when i see arrogance i want to knock it down a peg, but i can be patient. I am not trusting. I feel like i could help a coven member understand deeper hidden knowledge of our selves and help with relationships and communication skills and meditation and I-Ching form of divination.  and heal physical illness

11. co-existance with others  that arent closed minded and programmed that are good at heart. Energy work Divination i have studied the tarot but always relied on the I-CHING for guidance for many years.

12. taking care of my kids and my puppies cooking everything home-made Reading and learning about computers I have some physical limitations.

Well i hope there is someone out there that can help me to further my knowledge of the earth. I am truely great-full to everyone on this site it feels good to be in an online community of open-minded earthconcious people thank you for excepting me

Bump for new folks.

Thank you for your response Vinnie! I have the questionaire filled out below:

1.) Please briefly give a general description of yourself and your background, including your religious upbringing, when you were born, and the area(s) in which you grew up.

I am Black, 5'4", 110 lbs with glasses and black (brown?) hair. I have grown up in a Baptist school for my primary school years and I now attend a catholic high school. My family practices nondenominational Christianity. I am a Libra born in the year of the tiger. I grew up in Colorado.

2.) When and how did you become interested in Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?

I was browsing through the news and I came across an article about a witch coven that turned out for the Women's March this year. I have heard of witches, sure the Salem trials. But I had no idea how real it all was. All I had ever know about "magic" was considered black magick, not to mention the religion of my parents condemned witchcraft. I fell out with Christianity over time. I couldn't stand Catholicism, I had to take a course on the theories and I said "Hell no." then just little things began to bug me until I just stopped associating with it altogether. Anyhow, the more i researched about Wicca specifically, the more curious I became. I began to read Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft and I have been intrigued ever since. At first I wasn't too keen on magick, but the more I have read the book the more I have become open to it. I embrace it.

3.) What books have you read which pertain to Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca?

I kind of answered this already in the previous question, but I was given a complete list of resources that would just be way too lengthy. But for the most part I have stuck to Buckland's Book.

4.) Have you ever participated in a study group or coven, or attended any classes or workshops on Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca? If so, where and when?

I have not.

5.) If you have been in a group, what did they do? What was the emphasis of the group work? What were the basic tenets of the group?

N/A

6.) What kinds of group are you looking for? What kind of coven structure do you think would feel most comfortable learning in? Celebrating with? Some components to think about are:

-- What type of Wicca: Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Dianic, Celtic, Faerie, Shamanic, Druidic, Strega, etc.?
-- A larger or smaller group? How many people do you want to work with?

I am open to but structured and non-structured, I want to experience both before I truly settle on a preference. I originally liked structured, but for my needs I am not sure it would essentially fit. Structure was one of the factors that drove me away from the religion of my family in the first place. Ahhh, when I think of the types of Wicca, I get so intimidated. I am still researching the different types and any resources to help ease this task would be GREATLY appreciated. I know the most about Gardnerian Wicca, though. I do like balance between Goddess and God, but I identify more with Goddess, if that makes any sense. I believe so much in the Mother of the Earth. I also believe there is more than just one that controls everything. I guess the best way to describe it all is a Goddess-led pantheon. I am better with smaller groups, like fairly small groups, especially because I tend to shy away from too large of groups. At the end of the day, I believe that humans are good creatures and the only rule of the world is to not harm others, spiritually, physically, mentally, etc.

7.) How open have you been about your interest in Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca with your family and friends? How have they reacted to it?

Ehhhh... I told my best friend and she was on the fence (which I completely understood because her aunt had practiced black magick). Now, everyone else in my family will most likely never know. As far as I know, I am taking it to the grave. I don't want to hear it at all. I have come to learn that they don't need to know everything as long as no one is in danger.

8.) What sort of time commitment are you willing to make for classes and ritual? For meditation and personal work at home?

I try the best I can. I juggle school and work along with other school activities, so I carve out time when I can. On breaks I am a lot more stable, but until then, I don't essentially have set times and such. I do what I can.

9.) What do you feel Paganism/Witchcraft/Wicca has to offer you?

I have always felt something in my heart, coursing through my veins. I want to unlock my spirituality. There is something inside. Based off the history I have so far read about witchcraft, it all makes sense, the connection between wo/man and the earth. I want to explore it a bit more. Honestly, I don't know how to essentially put into words what I feel and am looking to find, but essentially it can be summed up as so: humans unlock only so many aspects of the mind, such as the sense when one knows when someone is looking at them just by feeling it. I believe there are more complex aspects of humans that are not focused on at all, let alone discovered and unlocked, like magick.

10.) What do you think your strongest and weakest characteristics are? What do you feel you have to offer as a member of a coven?

My strongest characteristic is my charisma and my weakest is my lack of organization.

11.) What aspects of the Craft are you most interested in? What do you find interests you least?

I am interested in the natural aspect, as well as the magick. Like I said, it is growing on my a lot. I am feeling a connection to kitchen witchcraft, but I can't say for sure yet, it is too soon to say exactly.

12.) Please describe a typical day in your life.
Oh dear. So I usually attend school from 8-2:45, waking up at 5:15-30 (-ish) and not leaving school till about 4. I come home,take a nap, eat dinner, and do homework until about 10-11 and either stay up till 12 on my phone or I go to sleep. Nights like these I am usually up writing, be it a forum post or whatever the hell else is on my mind, typed or written out. On the weekends, I work either in the afternoon or in the evening on Saturdays and Sundays. I hate working evenings, I don't get home until 9-10 on a good night. I am a hostess at a restaurant, by the way. I try to do homework after or before work but most times I end up doing it at school before class the day it's due. I procrastinate a decent amount, but I am much better about it this year than last year. So I average out about 5-6 hours of sleep and somehow I am still, somehow, alive. This is why I am so slow to reply. I try.

*Edit* It is very late and I am much too tired to proofread this all, so ahead of time, I apologize for any errors.
Thanks and good night!

*Edit #2 (at this point I might as well proofread)* I am going to take some advice I found on the first page of this discussion and repost this in its own discussion. Since I don't really know how to delete it from here, It'll be here too.

RSS

Please Like Us

Online Now

© 2017       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service